Friday, August 12, 2016

Celebrate the Small Things


It's nice to return to the Celebrate the Small Things blog hop, co-hosted by Lexa Cain at: Lexa Cain,  L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge , and Tonja Drecker @ Tidbits Blog. (You can go to any of these sites to add your name to the links, if you want to participate. I recommend it, because it's always fun to see positive news that others are celebrating, and to share your own as well. )

I'm celebrating the continued good news about my eyes: The pressure has come down a great deal in both eyes. 

It looks like I won't need glaucoma surgery in my left eye, although in a couple of years I will need cataract surgery, and I will need to take eye drops for the rest of my life.

At present I still take an eye drop every two hours for my right eye (the operative eye). But my opthamologist says it is healing nicely and looks very good. She gave my husband and I the go ahead to travel in October to our beloved Galicia. We would have liked to go for two months (September and October), but she's still monitoring it. I have another eye appointment next week, and then I'm assuming the check-ups will fade to every two weeks, then monthly, then every two months. Once she's sure it's stabilized, then the check-ups will be every 6 months.  (So hopefully next spring we can stay longer.)

What are you celebrating today? I'm looking forward to your good news. Have a great day, and have a great week-end. 




17 comments:

Connie Keller said...

Wonderful news about your eyes!! What a blessing the drops and good medical care are.

As for my good news, I recently signed with a literary agent. I'm thrilled about this step forward.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Oh, Connie! Congratulations! I'm so glad for you. Keep me posted. What is the name of your book?

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I just answered my own question by going to your blog. Is Screwing up Time the one that got you your literary agent? I see you've written quite a number of intriguing sounding books. I'll have to check them out.

Unknown said...

Today I am just celebrating having a cool, breezy day after several very hot ones. The air smells like the ocean and that alone makes me happy. Good to hear about your eye. I wish you continued improvement.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Kathleen. I love the ocean, too, and tomorrow my hubby and I are going to Monterey/Pacific Grove area to get some of those cool breezes. Sacramento has been soooooo hot! Have a good week-end.

Anonymous said...

That's great to hear the good news about your eyes! I hope they continue to improve. Enjoy the weekend!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Lori, I appreciate so much your good wishes. You have a good weekend, too.

Tonja Drecker said...

Yay to the continued improvement with your eyes! That's so wonderful that you might get out of surgery. Here's hoping for continued success.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks for stopping by, T. Yes, I'm glad I don't have to have glaucoma surgery in the left eye. The right eye was enough. 😉 Have a great week-end.

Unknown said...

That's great news about your recovery! You may not get to stay in Galicia as long as you want this time but at least you can go for a little while and have next spring or summer to look forward to staying longer. Wishing you much luck on a very quick, full recovery! :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Lexa, that's how I look at it, too. I'm glad to have the month this time, and then a longer trip next. I feel very lucky to have such a good and conscientious opthamologist.

Suzanne Furness said...

That is good news, Elizabeth. I am pleased to hear you will be able to take your trip even it might not be for as long as you would have liked. I hope your eye continues to improve with the drops.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I'm so glad your eyes are improving!!!!!!

Years ago, I was told I had cataracts and I thought I was too young...hahahaa..

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Suzanne. Have a good week-end and a good week ahead.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks for stopping by, Cathrina. I'm glad it was only cataracts and not glaucoma. Did you have surgery for them? Or is the issue still in the wait and see stage? Either way, best wishes.

Tamara Narayan said...

Ah, the eyedrops. My daughter was on drops for years to combat uveitis, at one point, seven times a day. Luckily, she is now on a different medication and we don't have to do them anymore. Hope you do well with your treatments and future surgery.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Tamara, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad your daughter was able to get off the eye drops. The one I'm taking in my right eye (9 times a day) won't be forever. It's just to make sure the eye heals completely. I will be taking eye drops in my left eye for the rest of my life though, but only three times a day (do-able!) to control the glaucoma and keep it from getting worse. If they succeed, then I'll only nee cataract surgery in a couple of years. If they don't -- well, then it will be glaucoma surgery, too. But that eye is also looking good. The pressure is way down. I'm just so glad they can fix these things now. Fifty years ago I would have had to settle for slowly going blind. I was born at a good time!